Thursday 22 March 2012

Blog Entry 3: Wikipedia Stub Assignment - Friday March 23

Before this assignment I had no idea how much I relied on Wikipedia for quick information.  I also had no idea how much I didn't know about the background of Wikipedia or even the etymology of the word 'wiki' (it means 'quick' or 'fast'...very fitting!), and I appreciated learning those things. Since Wikipedia is my personal go-to to find quick information or a general idea of a subject, after learning in class about the reliability of Wikipedia I've become a little more skeptical of the information there (because of 'vandals') and have learned to take it with a grain of salt.  The good aspect of Wikipedia's reliability though, is the devoted 'wiki-police' that work hard to catch any false submissions or vandalism.

When introduced to the Wikipedia stubs I was interested.  When browsing them I was shocked because I had no idea how many popular items' articles were unfinished, such as the Boston Cream Pie and Disney's Wedding Pavillionand I didn't anticipate how difficult it would be to find reliable information on a stub to be able to improve it.  In some cases it just didn't seem like they could be improved.  I first started looking at musicians, assuming I would be able to find one without any elaborate information and submit that to their Wikipedia page.  I found a musician (Nate Ruess), who happens to be the lead singer of a band I am very familiar with, who didn't have any information on him,  and that - again- shocked me.  I thought it was strange that no one had submitted anything more than just what band he was in, so I went on an e-search to find more information, specifically his biogrpahy.  To my surprise, there was nothing.  I had the same problem with a couple other musicians. So, I then decided to take a different route and think about relating a stub to a class that I am taking or have taken in the past. I am currently enrolled in a Nutrition and Food Sciences class and a good chunk of the course focuses on food manufacturing. Because of this, I found myself on 'Food Company Stubs'.  From there I found "Elmer's Fine Foods," a company based in New Orleans, famous for their cheese curls, and I added the company's history (which I found through the company's website) onto their Wikipedia page.
Click here to see the new and improved page!


For another human ecology related edited stub done by a fellow classmate, click here.

2 comments:

  1. I also had a really hard time finding more information for some of the stubs. Even though they are short, often all of the really important information is already covered, and only needed better references. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand what you mean about the lack of reliable information out there about a great deal of well-known topics. I enjoyed your revised Wikipedia post about "Elmer's Fine Foods". Now I wish I lived in New Orleans!

    ReplyDelete